The Indiana Harbor facility is the largest steelmaking complex in North America. It is a fully integrated steelmaker, strategically located on the southern shore of Lake Michigan in East Chicago, Ind., 20 miles southeast of Chicago, Ill. The plant sits on both sides of the Indiana Harbor Canal, which provides excellent shipping by large ships over the Great Lakes as well as excellent highway and railroad shipping. The plant operates five blast furnaces to smelt molten iron from iron ore, and has total raw steelmaking capability of 10 million tons annually.
Indiana Harbor consists of the former Inland Steel plant, founded in 1901, and the plant first known as Mark Manufacturing, founded in 1916 by Clayton Mark. The facility has undergone several changes in ownership during its history.
Products made at this location are hot-rolled, cold-rolled and hot-dip galvanized sheet products. The markets served include automotive, appliance, agricultural, construction, line pipe, electrical/motor lamination, converters and steel service centers.
Indiana Harbor Products and Facilities
|Principal production facilities:
||Five blast furnaces, three basic oxygen furnace shops, ladle metallurgy facilities and vacuum degassing, continuous casting machines, 80'' and 84'' hot strip mills, pickling lines, two five-stand tandem mills, batch annealing, continuous annealing, two two-stand temper mills, two hot-dip galvanizing lines and one aluminizing line.
Hot-rolled, cold-rolled, hot-dipped galvanized, and aluminized products
Automotive, appliance, office furniture, agricultural, construction, pipe and tube, electrical/motor lamination, converters and steel service centers